Wednesday, September 24, 2014

CHERISH THE WEST!

I passionately like drama. Not the kind that girls get teased about perpetrating. Not the kind that shows up in an unwholesome cop program. No. The kind of drama I am drawn to is that kind that is meaningful and well-produced. It has roots. It has morals and principles. It has love and honor. And perhaps one of my most favorite genres that has produced these elements so eloquently is that of the Western.

Let's be honest. I never really liked modern pop country music (Western music, which is how country music started and should be, rocks though!). I've never rode a horse yet(unless a pony at the state fair counts). I don't live on a ranch or farm yet although it would be neat. I'm not yet a country girl as one might say. And although I live in the South, I'm far from being a redneck! Anyways...I've always loved the 1800s and the frontier era of the American West. I think the first true western drama I ever watched when I was younger was "The Big Valley." And it all came sweeping over me from there! I have fallen head over heels for the American West. But make no mistake! It wasn't because of the handsome cowboys or the shootouts or any of the general elements one would think of. Perhaps the best way I can explain it is this. I do believe I fell in love with the life itself. Granted, modern conveniences are quite handy and boy am I thankful for them! But a life where hustle and bustle was unknown, where noisy cars were nonexistent and all you had were peaceful rides in a surrey or buckboard across the prairie, where principles were commonly held to by the majority, and where life was simplified seems like a good venture to me.

All these things are a part of America's rich history. And it saddens me to see that each day, our society is losing sight of the very things that made our country great. It was the people who forged a path through the Cumberland Gap and eventually the Oregon Trail who carved out a nation that we could one day live in. It was Lewis and Clark and the Native Americans who researched and occupied a vast land we now call home. I pray we never lose sight of the true stories in our country's history that have paved a way for us to have freedom. The Western television and movie genre is perhaps a tribute to the rich history America has. And it is my goal at CHERISH THE WEST to see that the Western does indeed live on for many years to come! Quality programming still exists. And it is my prayer that I can share them with you all!

Lots of features are to come in the future! Please do come back often to see what new things are happening here. Enter your email to receive blog posts in your inbox. Peruse each page, view trailers, and read my reviews. Check schedules and tune in to channels that are still airing the greatest Westerns ever produced! Let's saddle up! And never let the wonderful American West ever be forgotten.




1 comment:

Dixie n Dottie said...

I too am a huge lover of the west! Glad I found your blog. Looking forward to following along!